RESTORE NEWPORT MALL ACCESS!
July 12, 2021 | Dwell JC
For over 30 years the public has been able to pass through the mall allowing residents unrestricted access to the waterfront and Newport PATH. This public access requirement was identified during the environmental review process and is referenced in the developer’s permit applications for the mall and Newport Tower. NJDEP issued its approvals and permits based on that requirement. Now, Newport Centre is restricting access through the mall from 8 PM to 7 AM.
WHAT TO ASK FOR:
Ask your elected officials and government representatives to restore public access through the Newport Mall during all hours when the PATH is running. Instead of an access agreement that gives away the public’s rights, full public access should be granted via an easement to allow the residents of our neighborhood direct access to the waterfront and PATH as intended by the waterfront development permit during all hours of PATH operation.
WHO TO CONTACT:
- Steven Fulop, Mayor: email@example.com
- James Solomon, Ward E Councilman: Jsolomon@jcnj.org
- Email Phil Murphy, Governor
- Email Bob Menendez, Senator
- New Jersey DEP, 401 East State Street, PO Box 420, Trenton, NJ 08625-0420
- Attn: Richard T Paull, Director, Division of Water and Land Use Enforcement, Mail Code 401-04B
- Attn: Michele Kropilak, Manager, Bureau of Coastal and Land Use Compliance & Enforcement, Mail Code 401-04C